Friday, April 07, 2006

Female authors meme

I enjoy memes that allow me to think about past readings, and when I saw this at Phantom's it caught my eye. My preferred addition to the list at the moment would be Gertrude Stein - I just read her Three Lives and was taken by her style. Maybe I'll post an excerpt later.

Instructions: Bold the ones you've read. Italicize the ones you've been wanting/might like to read. ??Place question marks by any titles/authors you've never heard of?? Plus I'm adding this, as Turtlebella noted that the choice of books by each author is a mite idiosyncratic: put an asterisk if you've read something else by the same author.

Alcott, Louisa May–Little Women

Allende, Isabel–The House of Spirits
Angelou, Maya–I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Atwood, Margaret–Cat's Eye
Austen, Jane–Emma

*Bambara, Toni Cade–Salt Eaters
Barnes, Djuna–Nightwood
de Beauvoir, Simone–The Second Sex
Blume, Judy–Are You There God? It's Me Margaret
Burnett, Frances–The Secret Garden
Bronte, Charlotte–Jane Eyre
Bronte, Emily–Wuthering Heights

Buck, Pearl S.–The Good Earth. It seems like everyone had to read this in high school except me. But that's not exactly a recommendation...
Byatt, A.S.–Possession
Cather, Willa–My Antonia. I just read Cather's The Professor's House and really enjoyed it; from the cover of my dad's copy of My Antonia I always imagined it would be an incredibly boring book about prairie life, but I'm suspecting that's not actually the case.
Chopin, Kate–The Awakening
Christie, Agatha–Murder on the Orient Express
. Big Hercule Poirot fan when I was in 8th-9th grades. Used to watch the PBS version on TV with my mom.
Cisneros, Sandra–The House on Mango Street
Clinton, Hillary Rodham–Living History
??Cooper, Anna Julia–A Voice From the South??
Danticat, Edwidge–Breath, Eyes, Memory
Davis, Angela–Women, Culture, and Politics
Desai, Anita–Clear Light of Day
Dickinson, Emily–Collected Poems. Can't say I've read the works, but I do have a familiarity.
Duncan, Lois–I Know What You Did Last Summer. Ooh, that one takes me back to, oh, 6th grade? My good friend and I were obsessed with Lois Duncan, and would creep each other out over them.
DuMaurier, Daphne–Rebecca. Another book I have a strong aversion to reading - it's melodrama, right?
Eliot, George–Middlemarch
??Emecheta, Buchi–Second Class Citizen??
Erdrich, Louise–Tracks
Esquivel, Laura–Like Water for Chocolate
Flagg, Fannie–Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe

Friedan, Betty–The Feminine Mystique
Frank, Anne–Diary of a Young Girl
Gilman, Charlotte Perkins–The Yellow Wallpaper

*Gordimer, Nadine–July's People
Grafton, Sue–S is for Silence
Hamilton, Edith–Mythology
Highsmith, Patricia–The Talented Mr. Ripley
hooks, bell–Bone Black
*Hurston, Zora Neale–Dust Tracks on the Road
Jacobs, Harriet–Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl. Mmm, wouldn't really recommend it - it's important in a literary-historical way in that it was the first slave narrative written by a woman and documenting the systematic abuse of female slaves by white men.
Jackson, Helen Hunt–Ramona
*Jackson, Shirley–The Haunting of Hill House
Jong, Erica–Fear of Flying
Keene, Carolyn–The Nancy Drew Mysteries (any of them)
Kidd, Sue Monk–The Secret Life of Bees
Kincaid, Jamaica–Lucy
Kingsolver, Barbara–The Poisonwood Bible
Kingston, Maxine Hong–The Woman Warrior
*Larsen, Nella–Passing
L'Engle, Madeleine–A Wrinkle in Time
*Le Guin, Ursula K.–The Left Hand of Darkness
Lee, Harper–To Kill a Mockingbird
Lessing, Doris–The Golden Notebook
??Lively, Penelope–Moon Tiger??
Lorde, Audre–The Cancer Journals
Martin, Ann M.–The Babysitters Club Series (any of them)
McCullers, Carson–The Member of the Wedding

McMillan, Terry–Disappearing Acts
??Markandaya, Kamala–Nectar in a Sieve??
??Marshall, Paule–Brown Girl, Brownstones??
Mitchell, Margaret–Gone with the Wind
Montgomery, Lucy–Anne of Green Gables. And all the other Anne books, and the Story Girl books, and the Emily books.
??Morgan, Joan–When Chickenheads Come Home to Roost??
*Morrison, Toni–Song of Solomon
Murasaki, Lady Shikibu–The Tale of Genji
Munro, Alice–Lives of Girls and Women
Murdoch, Iris–Severed Head
Naylor, Gloria–Mama Day
Niffenegger, Audrey–The Time Traveller's Wife
*Oates, Joyce Carol–We Were the Mulvaneys
O'Connor, Flannery–A Good Man is Hard to Find
Piercy, Marge–Woman on the Edge of Time
Picoult, Jodi–My Sister's Keeper
*Plath, Sylvia–The Bell Jar
Porter, Katharine Anne–Ship of Fools
Proulx, E. Annie–The Shipping News. Or rather, tried reading it, got about halfway through, put it down.
Rand, Ayn–The Fountainhead
Ray, Rachel–365: No Repeats
Rhys, Jean–Wide Sargasso Sea
??Robinson, Marilynne–Housekeeping??
??Rocha, Sharon–For Laci??
Sebold, Alice–The Lovely Bones
Shelley, Mary–Frankenstein
Smith, Betty–A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Smith, Zadie–White Teeth
Spark, Muriel–The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
Spyri, Johanna–Heidi

??Strout, Elizabeth–Amy and Isabelle??
Steel, Danielle–The House
Tan, Amy–The Joy Luck Club
Tannen, Deborah–You're Wearing That
Ulrich, Laurel–A Midwife's Tale
??Urquhart, Jane–Away??
*Walker, Alice–The Temple of My Familiar
Welty, Eudora–One Writer's Beginnings
*Wharton, Edith–Age of Innocence
Wilder, Laura Ingalls–Little House in the Big Woods
Wollstonecraft, Mary–A Vindication of the Rights of Women
Woolf, Virginia–A Room of One's Own

6 comments:

Phantom Scribbler said...

A Midwife's Tale is really, really worth reading. Or maybe I just think so because my bias is early America.

I got through the Shipping News, but wasn't able to get past page 10 on anything else she's written.

Kevin Fleeman said...

Some people are really got afraid when it is time for the interview and this is why most of the time they do the wrong move. Here are some important info for interview. try this to get more ideas on the thesis, research and term papers writing.

click here said...

Nice blog really. I love to read blog post. It makes me pleasure. I enjoy every blog post. I know that only reading can make a person wise. That's why I love to read. And every day I know about some new thing.

Unknown said...

There has a trend is running in this time that people love to do meme for everythings, like in here a meme for the female author. click here for the students that is very helpful for the writing services.

Unknown said...

I prefer not as the homeschool let you have all knowledge but in practical life you need to face a lot more things than that. click here to see more about the writing tips.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog post, The thing is when such sorts of sentences are phrases are being encouraged to the understudies with the objective that they will come to think in a course as the perfection is the primary concern which they have to reach in their life. You can click here and get many new ideas and tips.