Thursday, May 11, 2006

poetry Friday: O'Hara

Why I am Not a Painter
Frank O'Hara


I am not a painter, I am a poet.
Why? I think I would rather be
a painter, but I am not. Well,

for instance, Mike Goldberg
is starting a painting. I drop in.
"Sit down and have a drink" he
says. I drink; we drink. I look
up. "You have SARDINES in it."
"Yes, it needed something there."
"Oh." I go and the days go by
and I drop in again. The painting
is going on, and I go, and the days
go by. I drop in. The painting is
finished. "Where's SARDINES?"
All that's left is just
letters, "It was too much," Mike says.

But me? One day I am thinking of
a color: orange. I write a line
about orange. Pretty soon it is a
whole page of words, not lines.
Then another page. There should be
so much more, not of orange, of
words, of how terrible orange is
and life. Days go by. It is even in
prose, I am a real poet. My poem
is finished and I haven't mentioned
orange yet. It's twelve poems, I call
it ORANGES. And one day in a gallery
I see Mike's painting, called SARDINES.

1971

6 comments:

Chaser said...

Lovely!!

Abir said...

Some exciting time will pass in the second year and second semester time as it could let you be all freedom and all enjoyable time. ideas here to see more about the writing tips.

roy said...

I do not think so as I am happy with my academic perspective but yet if you are not happy with yours then you should join. read more you'll be find some helpful information about the academic writing service.

helpful link said...

Sometimes a site can save your many time. People visit the blog and create a blog for the help and get help. This is the main thing. And also for earning some. But they do their service.

naina said...

Painter is not a easy task. you must need to experiment in long term then can get idea about Painting. I think you must need to click to explore some issue then get an better idea.

haris said...

Poetry is so difficult format of writing. Like me no one can be good in poetry writing but seriously as a reader i enjoy a lot such blogs. I greatly got inspiration from http://www.biographywritingservices.com/10-greatest-biographies-of-all-time/ in writing.