Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Listening vs. reading

Easing back into the whole blogging thing with some observations about a talk I attended today, part of an on-campus lecture series whose participants have more or less free rein as to topic, as long as the talk takes about an hour. I was a bit wary going in, given that the abstract for the presentation was written in a very writerly style. By which I mean, I had to look it over a couple of times before I really assimilated it, and even then I realized that it didn't actually mention what the talk would be about, only whom it was addressed to.

As it turned out, the speaker read a chapter of an upcoming book project of his, in the same writerly prose style. I started out trying to take notes and couldn't even quite figure out what to take notes on - his discussion was fluid and slippery and I couldn't get enough of a handle on it to figure out what the argument was, exactly. Then I let my mind wander and started making to-do lists and such on my yellow notepad.

Even though I'm a musician, I'm very much a visual and haptic learner (haptic = learning by doing/action), rather than an auditory one. I kept thinking, "If only he would slow down and repeat his sentences once or twice, so I could visualize them better." I like drawing diagrams and arrows and circles to connect different parts of a paper. So hearing this man read a chapter aloud did nothing for me - too bad, too, since he was small and round and had a friendly face and pleasant speaking demeanor, and you could tell he was quite smart.

I'm currently finishing up a presentation for the conference I'll be traveling to this Thursday, in Tulsa, OK (!). While my written prose isn't normally half as dense as this speaker's, this was still a reminder that taking it slow isn't a bad idea if the goal is to avoid audience doodling.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Some people can just go with the listening things but some people cannot make it with just listening and this is why reading is important for them. http://www.personalgoalwriting.com/about-us/ to check the recent guide and tips about the academic writing.

Unknown said...

Actually I would it really depends on people that some people can do their things easily by listening while some other can do it by reading. http://www.endocrinologyfellowship.com/faq-on-the-best-endocrinology-fellowship-programs/ to find out more helpful tips on writing.

Gaseet said...

A page from which you can learn the items for your life. See the topic of listening vs reading and improve your abilities to grasp the things in the short time. Just get the better approach from this website and get the better things.

on this site said...

reading and listening is not the same work. You have to concerns about this. This two is so difficult. Also, for the listener. This is so hard to hair something carefully

Harold R. Manson said...

Good writing.

Harold R. Manson said...

There are many people love to listening anything and some of love to reading. Here you have shared good difference between listening and reading. This information should helpful for students to learn more. Also check our personal statement editing services which should helpful for your project. Thanks for sharing.

Sophie Grace said...

I am very happy to visit in the blog. I see in the blog some players ready to playing for the game. I am appreciate in the work. Please go to link instastalker