Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The meme meme

Here's the problem: I don't do every meme that comes my way. Usually, I do them if I feel like I'll have interesting things to say (like a great poetry meme I am just about to do) or if they're funny. But this is neither. So posting it out of courtesy is fine, but I think the results might be skewed. But with that disclaimer:

[Short Version: Link to this post in the name of science. Ask others to do the same. Results to be announced during the "Meet the Bloggers" panel at MLA 2006.]

A grad student is doing an experiment on the speed of memes.What is the speed of meme? People write in general (typically triumphant) terms about how swiftly a single voice can travel from one side of the internet to the other and back again, but how often does that actually happen? Of those instances, how often is it organic?

1. Write a post linking to this one in which you explain the experiment. (All blogs count, be they TypePad, Blogger, MySpace, Facebook, &c.)

2. Ask your readers to do the same. Beg them. Relate sob stories about poor graduate students in desperate circumstances. Imply I'm one of them. (Do whatever you have to. If that fails, try whatever it takes.)

3. Ping Techorati.

No comments: