Thursday, November 08, 2007

academic eye strain

I.e. the worsening of vision that takes place after too many accumulated hours in front of a computer screen.

I had my annual eye exam this afternoon. Things were looking grim as to a prescription change; then the lights came on and I put my glasses back on my face. The gruff-but-kindly eye doctor said, "Look, I'll show you how things will be better now. Can you read this?" and put up on the screen a line that had seemed unintelligible when viewed through the lenses of the diagnostic apparatus.

"Yes," I said, and proceeded to rattle off the letters. He was nonplussed. Apparently my glasses allow me to see with an improbably level of clarity, at my current prescription. So I'm getting a pair of trial contacts that are a bit worse, and we'll see what they do; my current fear is that my eyes will continue to get marginally worse every year of my life, even though they're supposed to stop changing when you're what? 25?

3 comments:

jane dark said...

Oh, you have reminded me that I got a postcard this summer reminding me that I was due for an eye exam, and I cringed and ignored it.

Do you *feel* as though your current glasses aren't working? I can't quite tell, from your post. But oh, I have the same worry, and I do hope things brighten up (no pun intended)

kermitthefrog said...

They work OK, given that I wear contacts most of the time. I was there mainly to get that prescription renewed.

KM said...

I don't get it -- is it that the "improbably clear" prescription was going to make your eyes lazy?
Opthalmologists have their own logic, I've discovered.