Friday, June 23, 2006

John, I've been bad

I got a fantastic and funny email yesterday from a member of my choir, a perhaps 50-year-old tenor who's always been very nerdily friendly. We work at different parts of the same university, and we chat before rehearsals about various things - work, literature, music, etc. The title of his email? "sapphire bullets of pure cosmic luhv" -- which I almost deleted before realizing that spambots don't tend to reference They Might Be Giants songs! The email was very praiseworthy about a duet I'd sung as part of our fall concert, which he was then listening to on CD; he also cc'd the conductor, partly in the thought that he would serve as the "e-chaperone" so I wouldn't be creeped out!

And possibly my favorite part -- he had listened to the CD the night before, after a couple of drinks. But he had waited until *that night's* intoxication to write me. That cracks me up.

So in honor of randomly funny emails, in lieu of Friday poetry blogging, here are the lyrics to "Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love," by They Might Be Giants:

Pistol shots
Gun shots
Pistol shots
Gun shots

Bullets from a revolver
Bullets from a gun
Bullets through the atmosphere
Here they come

John, I've been bad
And they're coming after me
Done someone wrong
And I fear that it was me

Sapphire bullets
Bullets of pure love

Sapphire bullets
Bullets of pure love

By the way, these are from oldielyrics.com . Anyone else have a violent reaction to characterizing TMBG as "oldies"?!?

No comments: