Thursday, August 17, 2006

quoty meme

Seen all around the town, too lazy to link, but the first 5 random quotes [annotated] from here that appealed to me were:

1. For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others. Nelson Mandela (1918 - )

2. The dead cannot cry out for justice; it is a duty of the living to do so for them. Lois McMaster Bujold, Diplomatic Immunity, 2002 [Never heard of her, but I'll at least have to see what this book is. So far, a social justice theme is emerging.]

3. Last night I dreamed I ate a ten-pound marshmallow, and when I woke up the pillow was gone. Tommy Cooper [No idea what this means; I could have sworn I've heard this recently in a different context, though. I just reread Neil Gaiman's Sandman series, so that could have something to do with it.]

4. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. Aldous Huxley

5. The remarkable thing about Shakespeare is that he really is very good, in spite of all the people who say he is very good. Robert Graves [The surprise I felt when it sunk in that "literary classics" were very good {Take War and Peace, for example, which can be called a historical soap opera without too much exaggeration} was immense.]

No comments: