Monday, February 19, 2007

Obsessions

1. I think I have a way to incorporate Twin Peaks into a seminar presentation I'll be giving Thursday for my sound & poetry class, on the ways that music/vocality can be prophetic. Possibly even show a clip from episode 14. More about this later; I think it would be helpful to get thoughts in order in a semi-public forum.

2. I updated iTunes specifically to download the season 3 premiere of Battlestar Galactica. I'm not sure if I'm committed to downloading the entire season at this point, but it may happen bit by bit. The opener was certainly tantalizing...

3. An obsession of a different sort: I'm still owed one 1099-MISC (singing income), and pissed off about it. I'm now checking the mail every day, longing for my tax form.

4. Spring break! In 11 days!

5. Making lists.

6 comments:

Jane Dark said...

Wow, I want to come to your class!

I'll be looking forward to hearing more, really.

And boy, would I ever love to teach a class on the aesthetics of the beautiful and the sublime using Twin Peaks.

kermitthefrog said...

Crap, dude. You should do it. Kant says that waterfalls are sublime, but I think the mill's just beautiful. Julee Cruise is sublime. :)

Jane Dark said...

Julee Cruise IS sublime!

Really, though, I'd love to. I'll have to keep that in mind for down the road. And it helps that at the moment, I could arrange for a field trip to go to the falls AND the mill.

Sadly, though, the Double R, where I used to eat breakfast with one of my undergrad English profs while on hiking trips, burned down several years ago.

Cherry pie is sublime.

SK said...

You BETTER put Twin Peaks in there. Holy crap. What scene from episode 14?

kermitthefrog said...

The very last scene, when a bunch of characters are at the roadhouse and the giant appears and says, "It is happening again." They're all listening to Julee Cruise and are sad, while Madeline is getting killed.

And JD, way to pull proximity on me with that one! Next you'll have passed through the White Lodge with your spirit intact. Jeez.

Jane Dark said...

Kermit, you're the inspiration. As soon as you mentioned TP, it seemed obvious -- but I hadn't thought of it at all before that.

But I don't know; if Cooper can't even make it into the White Lodge, I'm not too confident of my own chances...