Tuesday, May 08, 2007

responsibility

Why am I this bastion of civic responsibility?

eta: because you're avoiding studying and writing, you twerp!

I'm finishing up a stint as "president" of the grad student association in my program, exchanging diplomatic emails with the grad chair about things like summer funding and exam timing. In fact, I'm not necessarily gaining things for the department; I'm pretty willing to listen to the grad chair given that she's usually straightforward about financial and scheduling issues. But our discussions may end up clarifying an important financial point that's been obscure for years, so at least that will be somewhat beneficial for other students.

And I've taken on administrative and budgetary responsibilities for a grad-run lecture series for next year, which I'm actually kind of excited about: number crunching! and futzing around with scheduling!

I'm so managerial. Have I mentioned before that I just want to go straight to the top? If "top" means "bossing people around and having control over scheduling and feeling like I'm accomplishing concrete tasks." No passing Go or doing groundwork.

3 comments:

Jane Dark said...

Sounds like I am not the only one with an inner Laura Roslin...

kermitthefrog said...

Inner? Who said inner?

Anonymous said...

Indeed. Here is to both of our futures as wildly successful (and happy!) department/program chairs down the road, eh?