Thursday, November 01, 2007

brief notes, writing day 1

  • favorite word that I used in writing today: "presumptuous"
  • "You don't need to have read/remembered/assimilated all previous work on your topic before you start writing." Yes, but it's very, very hard not to feel the contrary, especially because it's important to me not to feel like I'm writing into a void--that is, I would really like to engage with other people's ideas. Dissertation should not = narcissism.
  • I need to go through this monstrously long book and pick out quotations that I will probably use in my writing. Does this factor into my word count or not? My inclination is no, and I will count them when I actually figure out where they go in the as-yet-unwritten chapter.

2 comments:

luckybuzz said...

I have SO much trouble with that second thing too...and I'm having the same issues with needing to get the quotes together (but being pretty sure that doesn't count as writing). We'll get there! :)

Belle said...

No, quotes don't count. Unless you're quoting yourself (don't ask). The diss stuff? As a much detested prof once told me: it's just a part of the process.

Always did detest that man.